michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > MichiganWaterfowl.com
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery
Default Sink boxes

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
This subject was brought up the other night. Why is a sink box illegal?
If its a saftey issue on public waters (perhaps because of boaters?), then why illegal on your own private pond or lake?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Big Smile Very Simple Answer

the department of natural resources in michigan believes in FAIR CHASE! there are other states that allow sink boxs and believe that it is fair chase. that sir it the very simple answer. ANALOGY---- other states allow crossbow hunting for everyone-----MICHIGAN doesn't----very simple BUT STUPID!
Old 07-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery

Thanks for the reply. That (fair chase) was discussed, but it was also argued that todays camo options for boats and blinds can make hunters basically invisible if done correctly not to mention layout blinds ect. so they argued "whats the difference"?
I was just wondering if saftey was a factor too, but guess not.
Thanks again
Old 07-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Guide

If sink baxes aren't fair chase, what are pit blinds?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 11Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to thedude

to my knowledge sink boxes are outlawed by federal law... ie.. not legal in any U.S. state. As for a pit blind i believe it is a loophole in that it is touching the bottom of the water body.

i think you have to go to nova scotia to sink box hunt in north america.

from the FWS website: (http://www.fws.gov/le/HuntFish/waterfowl_baiting.htm)
Illegal hunting methods. You cannot hunt waterfowl:
From a sink box or any other low floating device that conceals you beneath the surface of the water.

a pit blind does not float and is not a "sink box" so it is not specifically outlawed.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Banned

They are outlawed because they are deadly. Feds did away with them when they outlawed feeding.

Last edited by everlast1; 07-08-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Wink Sink Box

yes, sink boxes are illegal, i miss stated. pit blinds are legal elsewhere. the fair chase is still the reasoning for the ban along with baiting and 6 gauge and 8 gauge and punt guns. when you can wipe out 100-200 birds with a single shot i think the point of hunting is NULL AND VOID. as is with bait, those birds will still come in and feed until every kernel of corn is gone once they find it. kinda like SHOOTING FISH IN A BARREL! THANKS FOR THE CORRECTION
Old 07-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 54Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to SafetyMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude
a pit blind does not float and is not a "sink box" so it is not specifically outlawed.
You, Sir, are correct.

Pit blinds are legal in Michigan. I don't think they are illegal anywhere, but I could be wrong.

DOOF 43
Old 07-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Question pit blinds

pit blinds are legal for the taking of waterfowl ONLY i believe. a pit blind to my knowledge is totally illegal for deer,bear,turkey, elk, etc. but i may be wrong (again).
Old 07-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 12Users Photo Gallery

Sink boxes are also legal in Quebec. Nothing more frustrating to see birds after birds getting shot out of sink boxes and you are only 200 yards away hunting in Ontario waters and can only watch the show. Observation, they are way too effective. Was offered to shoot out of one, but declined that day because they were bailing more than they were shooting.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 92Users Photo Gallery

I'm not sure sink boxes are illegal in all states. I seem to recall reading an article in Wildfowel about sink box hunting on the St. Lawrence.

It appears also that this "curtain" blind would be considered a sink box.http://www.ocracokeduckhunting.com/index.html

"The only ethical shot is the one you don't take" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

TSS,
Probably the portion of the St. Lawrence that is referred to in the Wildfowl article is on the Quebec side, where, as others have stated, sinkboxes are legal.

The curtain blind used in the Oakracoke Island guide advert is legal, because the hunter is standing on the bottom. If you are standing on the bottom, there is no prohibition on having your body concealed below the surface. The curtain itself is also anchored into the bottom - in essence, it's like standing behind a bunch of portable cattails.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 92Users Photo Gallery

So, you could actually be in 4' of water and have the box be 4' deep and be legal? If so, I'm suprised I haven't seen anyone doing this in Michigan.

"The only ethical shot is the one you don't take" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 11Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to thedude

as long as its not floating..... which is really the trick... sinkboxes are deadly becuase they are neutrally bouyant to the point that they barely break the surface of the water.... thus they are able to roll with waves and adjust for fluctuating water levels. A non-floating structure would have all kinds of trouble trying to achieve this in open water since you'd have to be able to constantly fine-tune it's height above the water line to keep the water out but maintain a lowest-possilbe profile.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Guide

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

As stated curtain boxes are legal because they are resting on/connected to the bottom and not floating. The curtain goes up and down to account for changes in water levels due to wind tides, etc.

The traditional sink boxes were used floating in open water for diving ducks and sea ducks.

One reason you likely don't see any of these in MI is that a (semi) permanent blind such as this would be open on a first come first serve basis to any hunter (great lakes and public waters). In NC the blinds are permitted and are for the exclusive use of the permit holder for the duration of the permit - usually a season or two.

It appears that this type of blind would be legal in Michigan on private land or bottomlands.